The big box of fragrant navel oranges arrived just before the weekend. I opened it and looked down. Each orange was individually wrapped in tissue paper like a special gift. I grabbed one, washed and peeled it and started popping brightly colored pieces into my mouth. Delicious.
These beautiful, orange fruits have become my daily indulgence ever since: oranges with yogurt for breakfast, oranges for an afternoon snack, and thinly sliced oranges in a salad of baby greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette at dinner (from the Gluten-Free Good Health Cookbook and Foodphilosopher.com). The fresh sweet taste and tropical color is a welcome respite from the grays and browns of winter in the northeast.
After few days I started day thinking about all the orange rind going to waste. I thought about making the Orange Bread from Gluten-Free Baking Classics. It uses the rind of one whole orange and it is a cold weather favorite in my house, especially for sous chef boy. But then I started thinking about what else I could make. Cookies maybe? And somehow my thoughts turned to biscotti, specifically orange walnut biscotti. It just seemed to make sense.
A couple of trial batches later- perfection. Delectable. Crunchy. Fragrant. Gluten-free orange walnut biscotti. Perfect with my morning coffee. Perfect for an afternoon treat with a cup of tea. And perfect to serve with dessert wine this weekend when I have friends for dinner.
So if you are brightening up your winter days with a pile of oranges, make sure to grab a zester and grate yourself a mound of rind to make this special recipe. You’ll be glad you did.
Orange Walnut Biscotti
Makes about 36 cookies.
2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix*
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 packed tablespoon grated orange rind
2 large eggs
1⁄3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons pure orange extract
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and dust with rice flour.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and orange zest in large bowl of electric mixer. Add eggs, oil, orange extract, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until well combined. Mix in walnuts. Dough will be very sticky.
- Use a spatula and floured hands to shape dough into three logs, each measuring 8 x 2 inches and 1 inch high, on prepared cookie sheet. Place logs 2 1⁄2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Place in center of oven and bake 30 minutes, until light golden. Logs will spread and flatten slightly. Remove to a cutting board and cool 8 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut logs on the diagonal into 1/2 – 3/4 inch wide slices. Place biscotti back on cookie sheet, standing up, and return to oven. Bake about another 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. Store in an airtight container.
After three days, store in refrigerator. Can be kept in refrigerator for three weeks or frozen for up to six weeks.
* Find my Brown flour mix in the Guide to Flour Mix section of this blog.